Black Girl Dangerous.


"Q. Why aren't you nicer to white people??!!
A. Thank you for asking!
If we get one criticism more than any other, it's Why aren't you nicer to white people? It's said in many different ways by many different people, but it all boils down to the same thing. And the answer is simple: We are not interested in making white folks feel better about racism. We are not interested in holding their hands and assuring them they they are good despite their daily participation in systems of racism. We are not interested in creating space for their "opposing views". There are plenty of places where white folks can go and not be called out on racism and white privilege. There are plenty of places where white folks can have their hands held and be told it's okay. This is not meant to be such a space.
What we are interested in (among other things) is telling the truth about systemic racism and its effects as we and the people around us experience them.
Racism is a horrible system that deeply affects the lives of people of color in countless negative ways. We're angry about it. And we have every reason to be.
We are not here for kumbaya. If you're mad, good. You should be. Racism is not something you should feel good about.

Q. Aren't you being just as racist against white people??
A. No. And your question reveals that you don't even understand what racism is. Without even that basic knowledge, how can you expect to be taken seriously in a conversation about race? Lucky for you, thousands of books have been written on the subject. Plus, there's Google. You've heard of Google, right?"

My sisters blog turned me onto Black Girl Dangerous. The website itself is intense, direct, and in your face... exactly what it needs to be. I love it. But what I found incredibly interesting is the constant parallels between racism and sexism. I get sick of having to pat other people's back and make them feel better during feminist conversations when they are being sexist. "Oh I know you said that incredibly sexist thing, but you are a good person and I am sure you are different." No... no you are not. You are contributing to a specific culture of oppression based on people's gender and sexuality- just because you aren't beating a woman or calling someone a fag doesn't mean you are any better than the people who do. 
Be an agent of change in the world. Stop asking for people to hold your hand and make you feel better. If something makes you feel bad or you feel the need to defend yourself, then you are probably doing something wrong. Be upset, be angry, be all of those things. Then do something about it. Be better than what you were. Make an impact in your realm of influence.

I am angry. I am furious about the world I live in and the hate people experience... that I have experienced. Every day I am challenged by the world around me and I am better for it. And I plan on doing my best to be an agent of change in this world and in my own head

Comments

Popular Posts