Explaining feminism in real life, part 4. The wrap-up

HIS FINAL FOLLOW UP
OK.  Let's talk about other stuff.  But first I do want to respond to a couple of your points.  I have less of a problem with the word "feminism" than the language used and the way the message is being delivered.  A few changes and I think more people would come out as feminists, advocate for the movement, and change would happen even quicker. 

And just so you know, I'm not trying to search for anti-feminist articles or prove that feminism isn't needed.  For example, the women against feminism website comes up in the first page of google results when I search for "feminism".  I also don't think it's fair to call them dumb, and morons.  They were probably raised and socialized differently than you but it doesn't mean they can not be intelligent.  I mentioned this website not in an attempt to discount feminism but as an example of how the language and message of feminism has incorrectly shaped these peoples thoughts to be anti-feminist even though as you have shown there are a lot of reasons why everyone (and especially women) should be feminists.  

Regarding the yes means yes law, the bill states "Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent, nor does silence mean consent. Affirmative consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual activity".  One of the bills sponsors also said it requires consent to be given verbally.  Maybe I am too linear in my thinking but I don't know how to interpret that other than everyone involved must ask everyone else verbally and receive a verbal answer.

I have learned a lot about feminism over the last few weeks so I do appreciate you taking the time to discuss this with me.  I think I have learned that the internet and social media in particular is a bad place to learn about feminism and probably any other controversial issue.  My take away is that I should just try to be a good person, try to recognize when I might be doing something because of a subconscious bias, and not be silent when I see some behavior that is wrong.

I need to go to yoga now :)  But when I think of a social issue I want to learn more about I will ask you.
MY FINAL FOLLOW UP

"My take away is that I should just try to be a good person, try to recognize when I might be doing something because of a subconscious bias, and not be silent when I see some behavior that is wrong."
This is absolute perfection and exactly how I try to live my life. I'm not always successful but it's a good compass to have. You are a pretty great guy and you have an incredibly open mind so I think the way you live you life, speaks to your character.

Enjoy your yoga! 

Comments

Popular Posts