Yes, I listen to rap music and am a feminist.


For all who know me, I am a raging and unwavering feminist, which in its truest form means I am a humanist. A true feminist is deeply concerned about the way in which we develop and socialize men and women and are concerned about how that will manifest throughout an individual's life. However, the impacts on women's lives often result in the degradation and demoralization of them which is why they are often the focus. 

In the past few weeks I have been reading a great deal about what it means to be a woman in the workplace and more so, a woman in our culture. I have read about what it means to be a modern day feminist, and certain things have struck me. 

I find that when I do things that do not support my feminist nature, I am instantly called a hypocrite. (Ramon did this to me ALL THE TIME. He literally looked for ways that my life was inconsistent with my beliefs, as if I could not a feminist while also being a product of my environment. Feminist and socialization are not mutually exclusive. Many of the things I say, do, and enjoy are subconscious preferences I developed from my environment. 

While I would love to believe that simply defining myself as a feminist would instantly make me knowledgable about every inadequacy and inequality and instantly change my behavior to whatever the "right" thing is, that is unrealistic. And to be honest, "right" is subjective. 

What I find to be so incredibly frustrating is that somehow my slipups or certain inconsistencies in my life are used to dismiss ALL of my stances and personal beliefs. How does listening to rap music somehow make all my opinions about the treatment of women and the way we socialize men completely inaccurate? Is that inconsistent with my beliefs? Yes. Does it negate my beliefs and knowledge? No. 

Do I appreciate how women are depicted in rap music videos? Hell no. Am I offended by the lyrics of a lot of rap songs? Hell yes. I like rap music because I like the beats and the rhythm. I would like to see rap music evolve. It began as a way for an oppressed group of people to express their experiences. It was poetry, and that is incredibly meaningful. And I would hope that rap could return to that. many artists are trying to. And appreciate that. Turning your back on something won't ever change it, won't ever help it to adapt. Plus, home girl loves her beats. I can't help it. It's who I am. I love em. 

Back to my original thought...

Feminism is a way of life and like any way of life it is a process. You grow everyday from it. You learn more as your eyes are opened to more. You see the world differently every time your views are challenged. Am I a perfect feminist? Hardly, but I am committed to my beliefs and being an agent of change in this world. 

Comments

Popular Posts